The earliest meetings of what would become the congregation of Calvary United Methodist Church were held at the home of John O. Mitzlaff at 530 E. Wildwood Street in Villa Park in 1919. About 20 to 30 people gathered for prayer during the week. Church services were held in Pick’s Grove on Sunday afternoons. Students from the Evangelical Theological Seminary in Naperville provided leadership.
In October 1919, the upper floor of Meehan’s Hall on South Villa Avenue was rented for worship services and Sunday School. The Rev. E.E. Neitz, a seminary student, served this new church.
In 1921, three lots at Highland and Summit Avenues in Villa Park were purchased and a building constructed. The new Calvary Evangelical Church was dedicated on October 16, 1921 by Bishop S. P. Spreng. An annex was added for Church School and Boy Scout activities during the early 1930’s. The Rev. Paul A. Lang was the pastor.
1939-40: An altar, pulpit, baptismal font, and decorative windows were added. The Rev. Paul V. Church was the pastor.
1941: A Hammond organ purchased. The Rev. Harvey W. Marks was pastor.
1944: The Rev. John Schaeffer became the first full-time pastor of the Calvary congregation.
1946: The Evangelical Church merged with the United Brethren Church creating the Evangelical United Brethren Church. This congregation became Calvary Evangelical United Brethren Church.
October 1951: Ground was broken for a new sanctuary. The building was dedicated on November 2, 1952.
1956: Land was purchased for the parsonage. The building was dedicated in 1957. The Rev. Samuel Batt was pastor.
1963: The Rev. Kenneth G. Truckenbrod was appointed Senior Pastor with the Rev. Earl C. Samstag as Associate Pastor.
1968: The Evangelical United Brethren Church merged with the Methodist Church to create the United Methodist Church. This congregation changes its name to Calvary United Methodist Church.
1969: The new education wing of the building is dedicated.
1982: Members of the former Asbury United Methodist Church were welcomed into the fellowship of Calvary United Methodist Church.
June 1973: The Rev. Claude Dotson was appointed Pastor.
June 1991: The Rev. Frederick C. Eisenhut was appointed Pastor.
June 1995: The Rev. Charles W. Emery was appointed Pastor.
June 2008: The Rev. Romir R. Esguerra was appointed Pastor.
October 2011: Calvary United Methodist Church celebrated its 90th anniversary.
June 2012: The Rev. Dr. Charlette J. Hoffmann was appointed Pastor.
June 2017: The Rev. Julie Fleurinor-Moore was appointed Pastor.
Sep 2018: Resilient, a Christian Community Development Association, is housed at Calvary on the 3rd Floor.
August 2019: New Life Church begins space sharing, using the sanctuary for Sunday worship.
July 2020: The Rev. James Fu was appointed Pastor.
October 17, 2021: Calvary Church celebrates 100th Anniversary! See slideshow HERE